2016 was my first full year as a business owner and entrepreneur. It was the year I intended to crack myself wide open and grow in all areas (be careful what you wish for haha!).
What I intended came true in more ways than one.
In the span of 12 months I traveled to 9 countries living out of one suitcase. I am a true nomad, and it’s been exhilaratingly stimulating while also excruciatingly lonely at points.
2016 was no doubt a year of duality for me. Intense breakup followed by manifesting deep, mature love. Going months without physical contact with another human to living in a tiny caravan in the south of France with my beloved. Making both 5 figure months and 3 figure months. Being tied to my laptop and being blissfully disconnected when wifi wasn’t accessible. Big cities in Europe, quiet beach towns, rice fields in Bali, and 7.8 magnitude earthquakes in New Zealand.
I’ve experienced in one single year what many long to experience in a lifetime. I’ve manifested whatever I wanted along with some things I only thought I wanted.
I’ve read a lot about 2016 being a struggle for many. It was both a struggle and a success for me. Solo travel will teach you things about yourself that both terrify you and remind you just how powerful you are in any moment.
I believe in many ways 2016 was my initiation and my call to action to pursue my Soul’s purpose. It showed me what’s possible when you take the leap and decide to do things your way - even when it seems to make no sense.
I have many tangible successes (and failures!) from this year but there is so much more behind the highlight reel that I’d love to explore with you in this post.
I’m writing this year in review, because I was deeply inspired by my current coach Kathryn Hocking’s own 2016 reflection. Her post showed me how important it is to document both the personal and professional experiences and to not hide behind numbers and highlights for sake of protecting the ego.
I hope this inspires you to do your own review and to go deeper with your 2016 reflections. It’s not too late to thank 2016 for what it brought and to leave behind what no longer serves you in 2017.
My 2016 Theme Word:
- Celebrating my first $10K months
- Living in a gorgeous 2-bedroom modern flat right off the beach in Split, Croatia
- Meeting and falling in love with my partner Luc in the south of France
- Traveling to Budapest and Thailand with my dear friend Christiana
- Spiritual cleansing and 3 day detox in Ubud, Bali
- Having my best photoshoot YET with my friend Sabrina in Bali
- Becoming certified as an Energy Editing™ Professional
- Moving to New Zealand with Luc
- Working with a dream mentor, Maru Iabichela of Infinite Receiving™
- Working with incredible clients in my group coaching program, The A-Game Experience
- Boundary setting is an essential part of up-leveling my business. If I want to grow, I need to have very clear boundaries - and stick by them even when it feels uncomfortable and selfish.
- It’s far easier to focus on one signature offering than it is to re-create the wheel with new offerings every quarter. I got burned out this year from winging it constantly and not having a long-term strategy.
- It’s safe to be me in my business - in fact the more I’m open and honest about my quirks and flaws the more I magnetize my ideal clients to me. Yay!
- Self-care is not an option, but rather a necessity if I want to show up powerfully for my tribe.
- It’s much easier to stay in flow when I’m selective about who I follow. Now I pay most attention to entrepreneurs who have successfully created the type of business and life I want for myself. It just makes a lot more sense - and my email inbox is a lot less jam-packed these days.
- I don’t have to create something totally innovative in order to help people. My ego was so focused on creating something “never seen before” that I couldn’t see how powerful the inspired ideas I had already channeled were for my tribe. Thank goodness for outside perspective or The Inspired Action Incubator may have never seen the light of day.
- Just because a business strategy works, doesn’t mean you have to stick with it if you hate it.
- Do what you love and play the long-term game. Plain and simple. Life is too short to create a corporate mentality in your heart-centered business. Create what YOU want, not some watered-down version to keep everyone else happy but you.
- Operating a business while living a nomadic lifestyle and traveling across many different time zones = MAJOR headaches (especially with daylight savings time!)
- Resisting big picture planning. I was convinced I’d feel constricted and bored if I planned everything out well in advance. I now see that planning creates freedom not constriction if done so in a way that leaves room for creativity.
- Not having an in-person community and feeling lonely much of the time.
- Taking on lots of personal debt in order to invest in my business and keep it growing. My business was profitable this year, but my credit cards took a hit. I’m grateful for the opportunities I’ve had and equally excited at the prospect of being debt free by the end of 2017!
- Gaining weight, not sleeping well, and having a lot less energy due to putting my needs on the back burner.
Month by Month:
I moved from Barcelona to Zagreb, Croatia and started a long-distance relationship that shook me to my core. I set the intention to call in my first 5 figure month - and after hosting 2 webinars, one challenge, and offering several free sessions I did it! This accomplishment created a profound shift in the way I saw myself as a coach and business owner.
Professionally, I was on fire. Personally, I was lonely and felt disconnected from the love I felt in Barcelona. The winter in Zagreb was bitterly cold for a Southern girl like me and I stayed indoors most of the time.
I sensed something rising in me spiritually even during this heavy time and found refuge and inspiration in The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo.
I moved flats in Zagreb so I could be closer to the city, meet new friends, and get out and about to explore more often. I started Periscoping regularly and fell in love with doing live streams! I felt more connected to my tribe than ever before and my community Lady Boss Lounge grew like crazy!
I attracted my second 5 figure month by launching my first e-Course Attract Your Tribe Mastermind and signing more 1:1 clients. However instead of feeling expansive I felt constricted as I felt shame around making more money than friends and family. I also went through a tough breakup with my boyfriend from Spain.
My shining light this month was joining my close friend Summer’s Healer’s Academy. This program felt like it was made for me and was my initiation into seeing myself as a powerful healer.
In March I moved to Split, Croatia where I manifested the most beautiful 2 bedroom flat located only 5 minutes away from the beach. I spent as much time as I could by the water healing my spirit. I ugly cried A LOT and I got brutally honest with myself about the type of business I wanted to create.
I made the announcement to my tribe that I would no longer be doing business + mindset coaching. I wanted to do pure mindset work with my clients, even though I was scared shitless people wouldn’t see the value in it.
I was dead wrong of course. My business continued to expand and I decided to host my first ever retreat in Thailand in June. I hired a fantastic retreat planner and got to work on planning out my big launch.
In April I met up with several business friends in Paris and celebrated success on a rooftop overlooking the City of Light. While in Paris I also had a photoshoot which at the time felt exciting but the vibe ended up being out of alignment with my branding.
I traveled down south to Perpignan to visit a friend at his vineyard and the most amazing thing happened: I met and fell deeply in love with my partner Luc on Tinder of all places (ha!) After our first date we became inseparable - even flying to visit Germany just 10 days after meeting.
Financially this was a low month for me but personally I was on top of the world!
I turned 27 this month - my second birthday in France (I turned 20 in Orleans). I woke up to fresh croissants, pain au chocolat, and little thoughtful presents from Luc. I traveled to Budapest with my dear friend Christiana. I prepared to leave for Thailand and tried to ease my worried mind about starting yet another international long distance relationship.
Arrived in Bangkok, Thailand - fulfilling a dream I’ve had for pretty much my entire life. Thailand had been on my first vision board and as such landing in the land of smiles made my soul sing. This was yet another symbol for me that I was capable of manifesting whatever the hell I wanted!
I hosted my first ever retreat in Chiang Mai. Financially I lost money hosting it, but I learned a lot and still really enjoyed the experience! I watched rescued elephants bathe and play. I learned how to cook authentic Thai cuisine. I had high afternoon tea Thai style. I ate every veggie friendly street food delicacy I could get my hands on.
Thailand was a feast for the senses, and I spent a month in sisterhood with my friend Christiana. Together we laughed till we hurt and we had more fun than I’d had in a long long time.
I stayed a month longer in Thailand, but after Christiana left I was alone again. I had a painful infection that sent me to the local hospital twice for answers. I missed my Luc desperately.
Personally things were a bit of a mess, but professionally I was more lit up than ever! I ran my first group coaching program Shift Just Got Real Tribe, and I joined my dear friend Gina Medvedz’s course Akashic 411 to learn how to read and heal through accessing the Akashic records.
I also hosted my first spiritual-minded challenge called Soul Power Virtual Retreat. I felt like I was going through a mini-awakening. Even though I felt uncomfortable I also knew I was healing old blocks to open myself up to the next level of my Soul’s purpose.
I left Thailand for Ubud, Bali and fell in love with the ritual, the loving energy, and the simplicity of life there. While I only spent 10 days in what I like to call “spiritual Disneyland,” the healing I experienced there was a major highlight of my year and spurred many shifts within me.
I detoxed for 3 days and had my first colonic, did lots of yoga, drank my weight in coconut water, saw a traditional Balinese healer, met a new soul sister, saw the traditional Fire Dance, got almost daily massages, hiked Mt. Batur, and went on a spiritual cleansing journey in Sebatu. I’ve never felt more in my element than I did in Ubud.
I returned to the south of France to stay with Luc while he worked as a sous chef at a camping resort. Finally reunited with my love!
Life in France had it’s challenges - staying in a teeny caravan with no reliable access to internet was not easy by a long shot. Looking back this time spent offline was necessary for me to take a step back from my business and discover what I really wanted. Yes, I was sensing evolution was in order again.
In mid September I left France and headed to Manchester, UK to attend a two day training and earn certification as an Energy Editing™ Professional. This experience was a MAJOR up-leveling for me and my healing work.
With this powerful modality at my fingertips I was now able to go deeper with my clients’ blocks and delete them permanently from their energy systems. I did so much of my own healing and my skin glowed from the baggage being released from my system.
At the end of the month, Luc and I moved to Wellington, New Zealand to start our own adventure together.
In October I manifested a 2.5 month house/petsit watching Lola the dog in a modern home overlooking a reserve. I launched my second group coaching program The A-Game Experience and made the EPIC decision to shut down my Facebook community and go in an entirely new direction. I ran The Inspired Action Breakthrough challenge and started a new community for a fresh start.
I facilitated over 30 Energy Edits™ which challenged me to go even deeper with my spiritual and self-care work.
I still felt a big shift brewing in my business model, but none of my ideas felt truly inspired so I focused on the work in front of me knowing what I needed would come through.
My big idea finally came through, and it was right in front of my face the entire time. I decided to integrate all of my gifts into one signature offering - a year-long membership experience called The Inspired Action Incubator.
I went from idea to launch within 2 weeks. I hired an ads specialist and created my first 3-part video series to grow my list.
On a more personal level, Luc and I celebrated our first Thanksgiving together (his very first!) I also visited a local Spiritualist church and connected with a few mediums in person (a big deal for a girl who grew up in the Bible Belt!)
And I found my way back to the beach several times a week - even if it’s quite a bit colder than the south of France.
I continued with my launch and despite not meeting my initial list-building goals I was able to attract 35 members from my email list and private community! I invested in a The Ultimate E-Course Mastermind experience with Kathryn Hocking so I can continue to grow and leverage my new business model in 2017.
Luc and I celebrated our first Kiwi Christmas and his 31st birthday,. I went on hiatus for the rest of the month going off Facebook completely.
I intend for 2017 to be a year of grounding in my physical body and in my business model.
Remembering my core desired feelings and my truth. Setting boundaries and honoring them consistently. Remembering that without me, my business doesn’t exist.
- Earn $150K+ revenue
- Total of $100K+ revenue for Inspired Action Incubator
- $50K+ launch for Inspired Action Inner Circle
- Grow my email list to 5,000+ with a free mini-course
- Blog consistently (once/week)
- Continue develop my spiritual gifts through daily ritual, mentorship, and practice readings
- Prioritize self-care - more movement, plant-based eating, salt baths, essential oil practices, etc.
- Pay off my credit cards.
So there you have it - my year in review. What do you feel was your biggest accomplishment, challenge, and/or lesson from 2016? Comment below!